Greater Manchester Police
Her Majesty’s Inspector for this force is Roger Baker. Contact him via the Northern regional office.
Read about the force area…
- Greater Manchester is one of the UK’s most heavily populated areas, covering Manchester, Salford, Stockport, Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Wigan, Tameside, and Trafford.
- It has a highly diverse population of 2.6 million, with large black, Asian and Eastern European communities.
- More than 60,000 students attend local universities and colleges.
- Manchester has to deal with ‘major city’ problems of gun offences and organised crime, as well as the higher crime rates associated with densely populated urban areas.
- The force is a major player in the regional counter-terrorism network.
- High-profile events regularly take place in the area, including the Labour and Conservative party conferences.
- There are a number of major football grounds.
Recent reports on this force
- Revisiting police relationships – progress report
- Joint inspection of police custody facilities
- Preparing for police and crime commissioners
- Policing in austerity – One year on
Up-to-date crime, anti-social behaviour, cost and workforce data for this force can be found in our interactive Crime and Policing Comparator – see how Greater Manchester is performing, and how it compares with the rest of England and Wales.
The 2011 value for money profiles provide benchmarking information on:
- What Greater Manchester is spending its budgets on;
- Staffing levels by grade and function; and
- Outputs and outcomes in a comparable format.
These profiles are based on data provided by the police.