Avon and Somerset Police
Her Majesty’s Inspector for this force is Dru Sharpling. Contact her via the Western regional office.
Read about the force area…
- The force faces ‘major city’ challenges in Bristol. At the same time, it has to meet the expectations of many rural communities dispersed over a wide area.
- Bristol is a major port and the area is crossed by a substantial network of motorway routes linking South Wales and the south-west to the rest of the UK.
- There are a number of seaside resorts, with pubs, clubs and bars creating busy night-time economies, particularly in the summer holiday months. Bath is a world heritage site, attracting around two million tourists a year, and the area has a number of tourist resorts.
- The force polices large events such as the Glastonbury music festival and Badminton Horse Trials, and has two football clubs.
- The diversity of the area’s population is concentrated in Bristol with a substantial number of students in major universities in Bath and Bristol.
Recent reports on this force
- Revisiting police relationships – progress report
- Joint inspection of police custody suites
- Preparing for police and crime commissioners
- Policing in austerity – One year on
- Anti-social behaviour inspection – 2012
- Review of police crime and incident reports – 2012
Up-to-date crime, anti-social behaviour, cost and workforce data for this force can be found in our interactive Crime and Policing Comparator – see how Avon and Somerset is performing, and how it compares with the rest of England and Wales.
The 2011 value for money profiles provide benchmarking information on:
- What Avon and Somerset is spending its budgets on;
- Staffing levels by grade and function; and
- Outputs and outcomes in a comparable format.
These profiles are based on data provided by the police.